So this is not
like my normal posts. There is no issue, no dilemma in the world of mine I want
to share, or random facts/rants about my life. Today, I was just caught up in
the beauty all around me that it made me realize the blessings I have daily,
and how my testimony has been strengthened.
I did
not grow up in the church exactly. My family attended now and then and when we
did attend it was only for sacrament. We were on the "in-active" list
and the church thought of multiple ways on how to get us to come, and 90% of the
idea dealt with sports. haha...
But I
always enjoyed attending church. I remember on Sunday's getting ready by myself
at the age of 6 or 7 and having my mom iron my dress so I could call my grandma
Pat who would pick me up and take me to church with her. On those days I got to
attend primary. I was terrified to be around kids who sang of the temple (when
I had no idea what that was), and of families being together, (when mine wasn't
exactly). But I made a friend during that time, Katie Sheffield, who I thought
was this crazy and loud, blond haired girl, and I was the quite odd looking
hispanic child. But every time I went I hated being asked if I was visiting or
new. It bothered me that the teacher didn't know me or who I was, and that made
me feel alone.
At the
age of 8 though, I had been going to church with my family and right before I
turned 9 that year, I was baptized in August 2000, as the newest member of the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints... I remember all the feeling I had
as after I was baptized, my Grandma Pat spoke, we sang I am a Child of God, and
the primary presidency spoke about the new step I was taking in my life. I
recall going to Wendy's afterwards to eat, where my great-grandmother Dorothy
gave me my first journal... In there I wrote my feelings and what it was like
to have the spirit. I remember wanting to do it again 'cause the feeling was so
"cool".... To be young and clean and pure, is such a blessing we
don't understand that we then start into the hardest phases of our life in
middle school/high school and without proper guidance they can become so
rapidly unclean, it's scary...
After being baptized I stopped attending church... No missionaries came
by to check on us, nor did any of my primary presidency. I still don't
understand why to this day, but I'm sure there was a good reason, I hope...
Well I started to attend middle school, and I didn't hang out with a bad group,
but my life was filled with heartache and torment everyday... I would come home
crying on how much I hated life. Girls were mean. And I was the type of girl
that did not crave guy attention. I loved acting, and playing sports. But as a
middle school aged girl, that just sometimes does not fit the status quo. So
from 6th-7th grade I was miserable and because of that, I was not nice, like I
wanted to be towards others.... I however, had a desire to be someone I
wasn't. Someone good and of worth! I would ask my parents if I could skip
basketball practice to attend mutual, (because the times conflicted), but if
anyone knows my family, you will know sports are our life! So I was denied the
request to attend beehives and mia maids, and was made sure that I attended my
practices to uphold my team responsibilities and starting spot. But I still
wanted something more... I can recall my 8th grade summer before entering into
high school. It was my last year of little league and I looooved playing
softball. However we had a tournament on Memorial Day weekend and my team made
it to the championship game, which was to be played Sunday afternoon. I
remember making the decision right then, that I would be attending church
instead (at this point in my life I was kind of attending more often). This
decision shocked my family. No one agreed with my choice except my aunt
Holly... I felt alone and denied, by my own blood. But I have never once
regretted that decision. My team won, and I got to partake of the Sacrament and
blessings that day, for keeping the Sabbath day holy...
Now let's fast forward... In high school I did not attend church on
Sundays, but I was forced by older friends in the Laurels to attend mutual and
Stake Dances... Now I know everyone hates Stake Dances... But this is where my
life was changed.... I would be at home, doing homework or listening to music,
watching TV, etc. When I would hear a knock on my door. Then I'd hear my mom
say "yeah. Come in"... And girls from my ward would come in and
demand I get ready to go to the dance with them. This happened several times!
Well, one halloween dance I got a random visit from my friends, and was
supposed to get a halloween costume on for this dance. So as usual, I put on my
go-to outfit... Boston Red Sox player! haha... That night I met someone who had
a major impact on my testimony and conversion.
I was so infatuated with this person from the start that I was wanting to
be a "good mormon girl" just to be worthy of dating him. So I
attended church, and started paying attention. As our relationship became more
deep and less shallow and time became longer, he started to attend church with
me at my family ward so I would not have to attend alone. I don't think anyone
saw that side of him except me. He attend his own ward, then would drive 20
mins just to sit with me, (and literally just sit with me, 'cause we all know I
hate PDA, ESPECIALLY in church!) He did this until my family start attending in
2009, with me. I will forever be grateful for his example and kindness in doing
such a thing for me...
Through
all this time I had different views on the church. First off, if anyone knew me
back then, they would know that I was such a feminist! And things like the men
only holding the priesthood, mothers staying home to take care of children,
etc. was just such a 40's and 50's idea, that I refused to be apart of it! I
wanted to attend school in California somewhere and I wanted to be a successful
event planner or athletic trainer, and not a stay at home mom! But I was young
and did not have an understanding of what the intent was behind it. I also had
a hard time with temple marriage and how families could only be together
forever through that. My family was not sealed together in the temple so the
thought that after my parents or anyone of us left this earth, and would not be
bound together for eternity hurt me. To say the least I just had a rough time
seeing eye to eye with things because I was such an independent person and very
stubborn and set in my ways....
But by my end of Junior year, beginning of
Senior year in high school I had learned so much about the church and my
testimony was growing that I was addicted to the feeling of joy I had from the
gospel and wanted to be surrounded by it 24/7. So I applied to BYU and
BYU-Idaho.
THIS is where my life starts to change and my conversion comes into
play...
I was denied
acceptance into BYU and thought life was over. I got the email at 6:00 in the
morning before school and was crying so hard my mother let me miss school to
mourn the whole day... haha (It's funny now!)... But then I received my
acceptance to BYU-Idaho and had a HUGE decision to make... Leave my amazing
family and boyfriend for a school 14 hours and 800 miles away... or stay and
attend UNM but not attend a church school... I made the rough decision
of moving to eastern Idaho. Land of farms, hills, and did I mention farms??? (I
literally crossed the Idaho border and asked my parents "are you really
going to leave me here?????" It was green farm hills and that was IT!)
But my first semester
I met Catherine Hecht and Whitney Cerveny. I immediately thought "these
girls are saints!"... I felt unworthy and so low about attending a school
with such amazing people. How on earth did I compare?... After short great
bonds formed I quickly realized Heavenly Father has a plan and NOTHING is a
coincidence! These girls and I had very similar trials that Heavenly Father
knew we would need each other to help go through it.
Well my first
semester was hell to say the least!... I even left school a week early, moved
out of my apartment 2 weeks early, and swore up and down I was NEVER EVER
coming back to this place!!! I was set on going back to UNM... Well time came
again for my next semester at BYU-Idaho and it was 2 days before classes
started. I was planning on driving up with my aunt, uncle, and cousins to Idaho
and start school that semester. But I didn't want to. So that night I went to
bed with everyone happy I was planning on staying and becoming a Lobo... BUT! I
woke up the next morning and had the most awful feeling like I was making a big
mistake. I woke up crying because I knew what I HAD to do, but didn't WANT
to do it... So I simply told my mom "I'm going back to Rexburg..."
She was shocked and sad, but trusted my decision... So we packed all my stuff
and loaded the car in 3 hours!! And off we drove!!! (I didn't even say bye to
my dad cause he was at work! That's how fast it was!)
That semester.... wow....
I experienced the atonement so strongly and exercised my faith in God and Jesus
Christ so much it was crazy! (I will not go into detail or describe events on
what happened because the experience is between me and my Heavenly Father)...
But I made a decision to put my worldly life on hold during this time, and my
family was not happy with this, (most likely because they had not had their
true conversion and did not truly understand what I was doing). I disappointed
people and altered mine and another's life... But I made my Heavenly Father the
most happiest I have ever made him and although I was the saddest, I was also
the happiest at this time...
Here I realized that
I needed to give up 3 months of my life to refocus on who I was... a daughter
of a loving Heavenly Father... I made mistakes and did not live up to the
expectations I knew I could achieve. I needed a clean slate and I got it...
Let me give you a
peak into my thoughts. I knew I had disappointed my parents and they were sad,
but I thought I disappointed my Heavenly Father more because he watched me make
every mistake and what I thought was crazy was that I was only one of an
infinite amount of children who have made him sad and an infinite amount of
people who have allowed Christ to take on this pain for me, because of my sins.
I felt ashamed and sad and mixed with so many emotions. I wanted to be one less
individual Heavenly Father had to worry about. I wanted him to look at me and
smile because He knew I was doing right by him. So I got myself together.
Everything has a purpose. From those you meet
and room with, those you date and have heartache with, those you stumble by and
give service to you and you service to them. It's all part of a plan and a
lesson. Our trials are not meant to sadden us, weaken us, or have us with
doubt.
"Just when all seems to be
going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously.
When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence
that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more. He therefore gives you
experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which polish
you for your everylasting benefit.”
I knew Heavenly Father knew I could handle it. It was going to be
difficult and hard. I was told that at one point I would want to give up.
But I also knew that it would be worth it, and that if Heavenly Father
could give me such an experience he knew I could overcome it and be happy. I
also knew He must love me a lot to give me such an experience! haha 'Cause boy
was it difficult. But never once did I want to throw in the towel!
I am eternally grateful and indebted to my Heavenly
Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ. At 21 years of age they have already done
so much. And I know much is still in store. And although I made stupid
and heart aching mistakes, it was the way in which I gained my
testimony. Because of it happening in such a unique way, I have been able to
help others, understand them more, not pass judgement,
and understand the atonement isn't just for redeeming of sin, but
also for comfort we may seek when someone else's sin hurts us.
I know the experiences I have had will continue to be a reminder
to me of where I was, and where I am going. Those experiences/trials will one
day help my marriage and family. Until then, they just keep me wanting to fight
the great fight. And when things don't seem easy, I know it could be worse. I'm
amazed at how far I have come and I am amazed at how the Lord's hand was in my
life EVERY step of the way!
I used to be a lost little girl. Searching for something more,
something deep, something to believe in. Now I have found it and want to tell
all who are willing to listen!!!!! I want those who are lost, hurt, or
afflicted like I was to come unto the fold and partake in this glorious gospel
and know there is hope and there is more to this life, and it all has
a purpose.
If
you've read this far I am amazed! hahaha... My longest post thus far! But
I felt it was needed to express and show just a little of me, and my
conversion. I just want to close (like any church talk would) haha, with
quoting the song that reminds me so much of this time of my life...
"Because I have been given much, I too must give; Because of thy
great bounty, Lord, each day I live. I shall divide my gifts from thee, with
every brother that I see who has the need of help from me."
We all have been given
much. So much. So in return we should share our
experiences whether they be triumphs or failures, so that they might
be able to help someone else in return.
If anything I hope my lessons and
experiences can help someone. If not today I know one day it will. There is a
purpose for it all... And we are blessed!
I am so privileged to know you, Brittany. I admire you so much and if you didn't come back to Rexburg, I never would have met you. Thank you for your example and awesome friendship! xoxo
ReplyDeleteI was balling by the end of this... britt i love you sooo much :) and im so glad that i got to meet you and tht cat, you, and I got stuck in tht apt together... :) it was fate haha
ReplyDelete